Saturday 11 October 2008

Breastfeeding Challenge 2008

The boy and I took part in the the 2008 Global Breastfeeding Challenge this morning, latching on along with 159 other moms and their nursing children (including, I was happy to see, a good number of nursing toddlers!). Not as high as last year's 198 babies, but a great turnout nonetheless.

It was so nice to see all those moms and babes contentedly nursing away right there in the middle of the mall. Props to each and every one of them!

I must admit to being disappointed by one of the speakers, who was up there with her small baby that she was "sad to say had to be weaned already", as the mother had gone back to work. I would have been much more impressed to hear from one of the many amazing and dedicated mothers who, despite having to return to work, continue to nurse their little ones, whether by pumping during the day or by nursing only before/after work. That would have been a far more encouraging message to the mothers gathered, particularly those who were facing the prospect of having to return to work themselves.

(I also dumped a ridiculous amount of gift bag vaccination propaganda in the trash when I got home - cute little "Gerri the Giraffe" isn't wanted around here, thanks.)

But, all in all, it was a cheering morning. We're now heading out of town to spend Thanksgiving weekend with relatives. Happy Thanksgiving to all those Canadians out there, and happy weekend to everyone else!

6 comments:

  1. :) That's awesome!!! I bet that was neat to be surrounded by breastfeeding Moms. I liked to sit and talk with my other friends while we breastfed,it was great bonding! I wish Daniel was stil nursing. I miss it! He was so cute while doing it and it was relaxing. I pray the next one will not need goat's milk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were there too of course - front row and centre!

    I agree that the MC was horrible. My jaw dropped several times while she was speaking. Ugh! I won't repeat here the garbage that came out of her mouth.

    We won one of the door prizes too - the Teddy Bear from the "Build a Bear" workshop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great afternoon! How neat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ phdinparenting - oh sheesh, really? I must admit that as soon as she made the "weaned to return to work" comment, I wrote her off as someone who didn't know what she was talking about and tuned her out. I have no idea what else she said!

    Nice door prize! We didn't win anything, though I'm a bit ashamed to confess I held my breath for the Gymboree gift certificate - I'm a sucker for Gymboree, especially when someone else is footing the bill!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I'd known about this!

    I don't make milk anymore (which makes me very sad), but Raiden still likes to nurse in the mornings, and I have no problem with it. I know some people would think it's weird to nurse a baby without there being milk, but it's so much more than just milk! It's morning snuggletime!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds awesome - well except for the already weaned speaker's baby....

    ReplyDelete