Saturday 31 July 2010

Magical

Today was one of THOSE days.

One of those days where the baby would. not. stop. crying.

Where the three year old held a special fondness for the word NO.

Where the hours draaaaagged by.

Where a family yard sale adventure was thwarted by an oddly low number of yard sales, where supper took longer than expected to prepare, and oh, did I mention? Where the baby would. not. stop. crying.

Finally I shrieked calmly stated, "OUT! OUT! GET SOME CLOTHES ON AND GET OUTSIDE!"

"But -"

"NOW!!!"

I don't know what it is about the outdoors, but it is magical.

The baby stopped crying.

left

The three year old cheered up.



I got some reading done while sipping my favourite honey milk iced tea.

I felt relaxed, and I find this to be true every time I move our grumpy selves outdoors. Why do I always forget? On those days full of whining and arguing and crankiness, why do I always forget? Go outside. Just go outside, and all will be well.

I don't know what it is about the outdoors that makes it so darn magical...but boy, do I love it.

5 comments:

  1. That's so awesome! Going outdoors is wonderful. Thank you so much for sharing about your day! What a good reminder and encouragement. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! I love going outdoors and so do the boys! :) Your boys are adorable and growing so fast! I can't get over how much Luke has grown!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I just found your blog and wanted you to know you have another hippie housewife friend in NC. :) I love your writing on community and have had some "rowdy bible studies" in my home like you described. Praying for you and your husband...it is a hard road sometimes. Being outside always helps me/ my family also. :)
    His peace, Becky K.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My child is the same. way. Those days where I want to throw him out the window, throwing him outside for a while will usually do it. I think this even cured a cold the other day! Hours outside digging in the dirt trying to find worms and catching grass hoppers to feed Mom's guineas, and his health was almost 100% improved, after a VERY cranky cold the day before.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too true- don't know what it is about the outdoors but give my boys a bucket and some water outside and they are happy to make mud concoctions for hours! Love the honey milk tea recipe-yum! I will be making this for myself tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete