Thursday 8 September 2011

If I Err

If I am to err
let it be in love.

If I am to err in loving,
let it be that I love too freely
that I am too compassionate
that I extend too much grace
Grace, scandalous grace.

If I am to err in living,
let it be that I lived too passionately
that I delighted too much in God
and His creation
and the wonder of this body He has given me.

If I am to err in raising my children,
let it be that I taught them
to love too freely
and judge too little
but never the other way around.

If I am to err in my relationships,
let it be in kindness.
Let me never label others as "those people" -
"those gays"
"those Muslims"
"those sluts"
For shame
to reduce a person.
How about
those mothers
    brothers
        daughters
those beloved creations of God.

It would be better
not to err at all.
Grant me wisdom and discernment
to know what to say, do, believe.
But
if I am to err
let it be in love.

14 comments:

  1. I love this. So beautiful and so powerful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. just what i needed to read today~

    ReplyDelete
  3. What I needed today. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is perfect! thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is beautiful. I would love to have you share it on my weekend link up if you would like! My theme for Sept is 'love':-)

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all for your kind words. Taking Time, I would love to share it on your link-up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous. Fabulous. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful truth here, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. That is amazing. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A-MEN. i want to print this out and recite it collectively in worship.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just came across your blog for the first time this evening and oh i love this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Truly what is needed! I am not a fan of labels at all, since we all are in this together. Thank you for these words.

    ReplyDelete