Wednesday 15 February 2012

To my unborn child

My dear sweet Mystery Baby. I don't know you yet, but I can hardly wait to meet you. Your older brothers are impatient as well; the oldest daily bemoans how long it is until you will arrive, while the younger one frequently asks if you're big enough to come out yet. Your daddy says you make him feel old - three children! - but he's excited to get to know you too.

Yesterday marked a milestone for us as, together, we entered the second trimester. We're a third of the way there, Mystery Baby. Just six more months until you become less of a mystery, although I've learned that in many ways, you will continue to be a mystery throughout your childhood. I look forward to getting to know you, little bit by little bit, over the years.

Will you be our third son? our first daughter? Either way, you will fulfill a dream, whether that dream be a house full of rambunctious boys or the uniqueness of a parent/daughter relationship. Either way, we will be thrilled with you; you are exactly who you are supposed to be.

Right now you're our little lemon baby, not yet four inches long but already moving all around, wiggling your tiny toes and sucking your tiny thumb and making tiny facial expressions. I wish I could watch you in there, but instead I simply wait for that moment when I can finally feel your precious movements. And then, of course, you'll grow and those movements will get less precious and more violent, but I'll love it anyway because it means all is well with you.

There are so many other moments I'm looking forward to. Our next ultrasound. A growing baby bump. Welcoming you into this world surrounded by family; tucking you into our bed that very night. Finally holding you in my arms and kissing your sweet head. Nursing you, watching you grow, seeing your first smile and all the rest. There is just so much to look forward to.

I have many hopes for you, my sweet Mystery Baby, but most of all I hope that you never doubt, not even for a moment, how very much you are loved and have been right from the very beginning. I love you now and always, with all of my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment