Monday 16 April 2012

Five

Five feels big.


Five means half a decade of You, darling, here in our lives, our always-present one and I'm so glad.

Five means kindergarten. It means a wealth of activities that were previously "five and up", because "five and up" now includes you. Five is adventure and courage and everything that was wonderful about four, only bigger.



Five feels big.

Five means memories. Maybe you'll remember four or three or two, but five is almost a guarantee. What will you remember?

Five seems so wise. You talk and ask and wonder and create and every bit of you is pure magic.


Five means you asked for an ice cream cake this year, in lieu of the usual son-chosen-mama-made cake. I only sniffled a little bit.



Five means you built your own Lego fire truck today, instead of searching for pieces while Daddy built it. He only sniffled a little bit.



But five is little, too. You still curl up on my lap while I read you stories. You are happiest when I hold your hand as you drift off to sleep. You still turn to me first for comfort; I am unfailingly humbled by your certainty that I can make everything okay again. You still love the colour pink best because, oh thank you, no one has yet been cruel enough to mock or belittle you for it. You are so little and so big and so perfectly you.

I know you're only one day older today than you were yesterday, but wow. Five.

Five feels big.

11 comments:

  1. Beautifully written! The eldest of our family turns 5 next week. You're right... So big yet so little. And I LOVE that butterfly photo - it is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was so achingly sweet. Reminds me exactly of my little (big?) 5 yr old, down to the pink favorite color and all. Thanks for tears in my coffee this morning. -Callie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really got me too. We have always thought of five as being the first step to big, too. Our last is five, and it was heart wrenching for HER to be five. Feels like the end of an era!

    Isn't it lovely that you will have him home when he is getting so interesting to talk to and inquisitive?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday to your (big) little one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww, birthdays are the best, aren't they? Happy birthday to him, and congratulations to you, mama.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you ever tried making an ice cream cake? They're actually really easy and fun to make :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've considered it, but haven't ever tried it. He had a very specific DQ Blizzard cake that he wanted, so I just went with it. ;) It's good to know they're easy to make!

      Delete
  7. I appreciate your mention of his favorite color being pink. The same is true for my little guy. I love the innocence of it, although my husband is annoyed. I'm finding it's more common than one would think!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this! Beautiful post. It's reminded me to see the joys in my little boys too. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for what you write. Your writing helps me to slow down and enjoy the little things about my son, and help me keep in perspective what is important and my son, age 2, is only little for so long, not to be overwhelmed at him " acting like a 2 year old".

    ReplyDelete