Monday 10 March 2014

Mondays are made of these {and an Everyday Granola recipe}

Monday afternoons are a familiar dance through the kitchen, restocking the breakfast granola and the freezer stash of granola bars for another week.

The kitchen is a busy place and first there must be full bellies if I'm to have any hope of getting the afternoon's work done. Baby girl eats a fried egg; the boy prefers his eggs in an english muffin with a slice of cheese and a ketchup smiley face. The preschooler likes pita and hummus best. Once finished, the baby lays down for her nap, the boys attempt a bit of quieter play, and I begin the steps.

I start with the granola. Check the fridge to see what nuts and seeds I have on hand this week. Mix the dry ingredients, boil the wet, combine the two, spread on a parchment paper-lined cookie sheet and slide into the oven to bake. I sit down to rest my feet for a time, aside from stirring it every so often. Once it has turned that lovely shade of brown, I set it on the counter to cool and turn my attention to the granola bars.

(I always use this granola bar recipe, with half the amount of brown sugar; it has been a constant success around here.)

Dry, wet, boil, mix. The bowl joins the cooling granola on the counter, both of them resting while I take a break myself. Once the granola has cooled, I pour it into its container, ready to begin our mornings.



The granola bar mixture, too, has cooled enough to add the miniature chocolate chips, and somehow two boys always hear this part and come begging for some chocolate chips of their own. The granola bars get spread right there on the same parchment paper, so recently vacated by the granola. I press the mixture down hard with a second cookie sheet, putting my weight into it and wondering if I'll be able to get enough leverage as my pregnant belly grows larger.

Another break as the granola bars set in the fridge, then the process of cutting and wrapping begins. The kids hear this part, too, and come hoping for a pre-dinner snack before I get the chance to wrap them all.

Then dinner prep begins and this kitchen is my Monday home, it's true.



Everyday Granola

The beauty of this recipe is its flexibility. Add whatever nuts and seeds you have and enjoy, and simply omit what you don't. Include other add-ins in the dry mix, such as wheat germ or ground flax. Replace the olive oil with an oil of your preference. Try it a few times and make it your own.

Ingredients:
6 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1 cup sliced almonds
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup pumpkin seeds
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup olive oil
1 cup honey
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup shredded coconut

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 325F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine the oats, nuts, seeds, and cinnamon.
3. In a saucepan, combine the water, olive oil, honey, and vanilla. Stirring constantly over medium heat, bring just to a boil.
4. Pour the boiled mixture over the dry ingredients and mix well. Spread onto the parchment-lined baking sheet.
5. Bake in oven for 25-35 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Add the coconut approximately 10 minutes before baking is done.
6. Remove from oven and cool completely before storing in airtight container.
7. Top with raisins, dried cranberries, or other fruit (optional). Serve with yogurt or milk.


{Recipe adapted from Honey Granola}

3 comments:

  1. Your granola recipe looks delicious! I just started a new recipe Link-Up, Monday Meal Planning Recipe Link-Up, and would love to invite you to share your recipe at my linky party. http://www.aprilshomemaking.com/2014/03/meal-planning-monday-recipe-link-up.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, April - and your soup recipe sounds amazing!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for linking up last week at Meal Planning Monday Recipe Link-Up, I hope you stop by again this week. :) Happy St. Patrick's Day! http://www.aprilshomemaking.com/2014/03/meal-planning-monday-recipe-link-up-2.html

    ReplyDelete