Saturday 8 September 2012

Weekend Reading

Geese, Girlfriends and Graceful Gifts @ Redemption's Beauty
Life’s dealt a bevy of disappointments over the past year. Dreams swirl down the drain in the turned backs of the faithful, leaving fragments of soapy bubbles clinging the sides of the sink. And I think about her words. How little in life goes the way we plan, but opening yourself up is the best way of all.

I’m practicing this like a daily sacrament at the altar.

Raising A Future Feminist @ From Two to One
During the idealism of my pregnancy and into the tired happiness of the newborn months, I looked admiringly at gender-neutral toys and clothes. Ever practical, I gratefully accepted the many generous gifts and hand-me-downs that were clearly meant to be worn by a boy. Yet I knew that in the future, if my son wanted to question gender stereotypes, I would be happy to let him do so. I pictured my son joyfully nurturing baby dolls, playing dress up, rocking long curly hair if he wanted to. Expressing his individuality. Challenging cultural norms. All that good stuff.

The Giant David Could Not Kill @ Internet Monk
These are people who know me, know my faults and failures, see me as I really am and still accept me. They are there to stand with me, encourage me, fight with me. They are not afraid to tell me when I’m doing something in a wrong or hurtful manner...

I’m not as strong as I think I am. I cannot do this faith thing alone. I wasn’t meant to. And yet that is my temptation these days. Just let me have my books and blog sites and fellowship occasionally over lunch or coffee and I’ll be fine. But Abishai sees right through me to my exhaustion, pushes me aside and kills the giant that would have killed me...

So that’s why I go to church. That’s why I can’t turn my back on this faulty, failed institution. I need the broken church because I, too, am broken.

I was the sun and the kids were my planets by Beverly Beckham
I was the sun and they were the planets. And there was life on those planets, whirling, nonstop plans and parties and friends coming and going, and ideas and dreams and the phone ringing and doors slamming.

And I got to beam down on them. To watch. To glow.

And then they were gone, one after the other.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for featuring my Friday post, I'm humbled and grateful. Happy Sunday to you.

    ReplyDelete