Sunday 23 November 2008

Potty Learning

We've had a few more dry diapers and pees on the toilet over the past couple days. I need to get out and buy a smaller seat to put on the toilet, as he (understandably) doesn't always seem comfortable being held on the big toilet seat, and then we'll start giving him access on a regular basis. So, I guess we're starting potty learning!

Annie at PhD in Parenting shared her opinions and experiences with potty learning. Here's a snippet:

Just like with infant and toddler sleep, there are a lot of misconceptions out there about what is normal. The generation before us prided themselves on getting their babies toilet trained before the age of two (I’m guessing the fashionable question at the time was “Is she toilet trained yet?” instead of the “Is she sleeping through the night?” question that we hear so often these days). Elizabeth Pantley has a great quiz to help you assess your child’s readiness for potty training: Potty Training Readiness Quiz.

So we'll see how it goes. I don't intend to make a huge pressure-filled deal out of it and turn him off of the idea altogether; we'll just take him to the bathroom every hour and give him the opportunity to pee if he needs to.

As an amusing little side note, I turn on the tap every time I set him on the toilet so that the sound of running water sort of helps him along (Is that cheating? I don't know.). So far, every single time, my husband has said, "Great...now I need to go!"

5 comments:

  1. I'll be interested to hear how it goes. I bought a potty chair for Hannah that should be here any day now. We're going to be pretty laid back about it, too. Like all things thus far, she'll do it when she's ready.

    ReplyDelete
  2. *chuckles* I love that last part. And no I don't really think it's cheating to turn on the water during potty time. I've always done that with children who were learning...or with older children who were being stubborn about using the bathroom.

    It's great that you aren't going to pressure him in this training. I think that's the best way to go. Boys are usually harder to train and I'm sure you'll have better success by not pushing him into anything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read daily, I comment rarely (we agree so much that I figure I am just repeating what you have already said), but I respect your words all the time. So, you have some bling on my blog, if you are interested at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha..I think it's funny that your husband "has to go". I don't think it's cheating, my Mom did that with my brother.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Turning on the water to pee is not cheating. I did it every time I have to give a *sample*.

    ReplyDelete