Melody at Transitions of an Overachiever has asked me to write seven random things about myself. How fun - so here goes!
1. I am the oldest of six kids. When I was growing up, I didn't want a large family myself. Now that I have one child of my own, I love the idea of a large family. But it seems they'll be quite spread out, as my son is 19 months old and my period has yet to return. Go, breastfeeding. I hope to foster and/or adopt children at some point in the future.
2. Everyone has at least one silly little fear. (Right? You all do? Because that's what I tell myself to make myself feel better about having this silly little fear.) I can't dangle my arm or leg - or even my hand - off the edge of the bed during the night. Why? Because I can't see what's down there. There could be - who knows? - an alligator under the bed ready to snap my hand off as soon as it dangles over the edge. Or someone could grab me and yank me off the bed. You just never know. Similarly, even though I am a very strong and comfortable swimmer (passed all my levels up to lifeguarding, participated in several mini triathalons, etc), I don't like swimming in lakes where I can't see the bottom - because again, who knows what's down there just waiting to bite my foot off or grab my ankle and drag me under? Okay, fine, so I realize that both of those are completely irrational - that doesn't change the fact that I can't bring myself to let my arm dangle over the edge of the bed at night.
3. I worked in a library for seven years. I loved working there. If I could, I'd work in a library for the rest of my life (once my children were grown). I love libraries. I love books.
4. As a work-at-home mom, I work four different jobs at the moment. I am an accountant for a public accounting firm (my boss let me start working from home instead of coming back to the office when my maternity leave ended), I am a distance education instructor for a college, I do program development and investment tracking for a man I used to work for, and I do some bookkeeping for another man I used to work for. The last three are all jobs I do for employers in a different province than the one I currently live in (I moved away from there two and a half years ago).
5. I did all of my education (a professional Certified General Accountant designation and a Bachelor of Applied Business Administration degree) by distance education over the course of five years. I took a double course load in my first year and did summer courses to cut down the time on the seven year program. I also worked three jobs at the same time and graduated debt-free. I highly recommend distance education to those who have the self-motivation to do the course work yourself.
6. I met my husband when we were in the seventh grade. We didn't start dating until two years after we graduated high school (eight years after we met). He is such a nice and loving man and I am very blessed to have married him. He's also an amazing father, so patient and silly and fun.
7. I raise hermit crabs. I think they are the neatest pet ever. I also have two cats, but pretty much they just drive me nuts.