Saturday 21 November 2009

I'm raising a teenager

Or so it feels lately.

First, he eats like a teenager. 9 times out of 10, the first words out of his mouth in the morning are "I'm hungry!" This phrase is repeated all day long. He's like an even shorter version of Pippin: "What about breakfast? What about second breakfast? What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper?"

Snacks. Never leave home without them.

Second, he's a phone hog. Already! Any time I try to talk to any of my family or in-laws on the phone, he's right there at my knee. "I want to talk, I want to talk, I want to talk!" And once he gets his hands on the phone - oh boy. Good luck getting it back! Sadly, it often devolves into a wrestling match around these parts. This doesn't bode well for when he's bigger and stronger than I am.

Third, ahhhh, the contrariness. Fortunately, this is far less common than his all-day hunger and his phone hog tendencies, but he definitely has his grumpy moments of needing to repeat back the exact opposite of every little thing I say. "It's bedtime." "It's NOT bedtime!" "We're going out now." "We're NOT going out now!" "Mommy's tired." "Mommy's NOT tired!"

Wanna bet?

Little stinker. It's a good thing he's so cute - and usually very good-natured and not at all contrary. Still, those days only push him further into the "it feels like I'm raising a teenager" category.

Ah well. I should be well prepared, at any rate.

6 comments:

  1. I feel like I could have written that post... except I have a little girl, and actually she's not eating much at the moment... but yeah... the contrary-ness. YAY for that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. *chuckles* Yes it is a good thing he's cute. I think that's why God makes them look so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My two year old loves to eat too! Oh my goodness ... she's like a teen boy for sure lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Toddlers are a lot like teenagers from what I hear! The good thing is that those of us who practice positive discipline will be well prepared for the teen years I think, whereas the parents who hit their kids will be in for a big surprise when their now-taller-than-them teenagers start hitting back.

    P.S. - I'm doing IComLeaveWe "on speed" ... visiting and commenting on all of the blogs on my blogroll.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL That sounds like both of my boys. They're skinny as rails but I swear they eat every 5 minutes! And contrary, oh my goodness. They argue just for the sound of it! I hear it gets better, but I don't believe it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My Mom says to this day that my brother is only alive because he was so cute ;)

    ReplyDelete